The Center For Debt Management
Debt Relief

Debt Consultation

Debt Settlement

Debt Consolidation

Debt Management

Credit Counseling

Filing Bankruptcy

Budget Software

Tax Debt Relief

Student Debt

Business Debt

Stop Foreclosure

Credit Report

Legal Resources

Credit and Financing

Financial Resources

Income Resources

US Tax Center

Insurance Center

Financial Library

Financial Bookstore


Credit Billing Errors

At certain times of the year, you may find yourself facing particularly large credit card bills. At those times especially, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) advises you to review your billing statements with care.

Credit card billing errors do occur, but they are simple to resolve if you know how to use the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA). Under this law, you must send the creditor a written notice about the problem to avoid paying for any charges you dispute. Many consumers forfeit their rights under this Act because they rely on calling the company to correct a billing problem. You may call if you wish, but phoning does not trigger the legal safeguards provided under the FCBA.

To take full advantage of your rights under the law, this is what you need to do.

  • Write to the bank, the financial institution, or retailer who issued the card. Your letter must be received within 60 days after the issuer mailed you the first bill containing the error. In your letter include: your name and account number; the date, type, and dollar amount of the charge you are disputing; and why you think there was a mistake.
  • Be sure to send the letter to the special address for billing inquiries, as designated by the card issuer. You frequently can find the proper address on your bill under a heading such as "send inquiries to."
  • Do not put your letter in the same envelope as your payment. To be sure the card issuer receives your letter, you may wish to send it by certified mail.

If you follow the previous requirements, this is what the creditor is required to do.

  • Acknowledge your letter in writing within 30 days after it is received, unless the problem has been resolved within that time.
  • Conduct a reasonable investigation and, within no more than 90 days, either explain why the bill is correct or correct the error.
  • Include documents showing that the charge was correct, if the creditor states the bill is correct and you asked for "proof" in your letter.

Under the FCBA, the card issuer cannot close your account just because you disputed a bill under the law.If you continue to have problems with the card issuer, you might wish to seek legal advice or contact your local consumer protection agency.

Deep In Debt?  —  Call 1800 DEBT.COM  —  Get Help Today!

Over 2,000 Pages of Content
Center For Debt Management

Center For Debt Management

The Center For Debt Management

Helping Consumers Save Money and Reduce Debt Is Our Only Business!

We invite you to explore the sectors listed below. We promise that you'll find exceptional values, offers and resources to reduce your living expenses and to enjoy life! But First—if you're over-your-head in debt—get a free no-obligation debt consultation right now!

Debt Management and Financial Services! The Internet's oldest and most comprehensive debt management agency! Resources for debt management, consumer credit counseling, debt consolidation loans, debt settlements, legal aid, financial aid, credit and financing, credit reports, budget software, insurance, income resources, tax assistance and more. Get out of Debt! Call Now — 1800DEBT.COM

Established In 1989 and Serving The Online Community Since 1992!

Get Out Of Debt: Call

Center For Debt Management